David Brown acquired Aston Martin and Lagonda in 1947, just 2 years after the end of World War II. These acquisitions led to the birth of a new line of post-war sports cars for Aston Martin, starting with the DB2 (the “DB” paying homage to David Brown himself). The DB2 series was first unveiled at the 1950 New York Auto Show and was designed by Frank Feeley, who was heavily inspired by the gorgeous and elegant Italian cars of that time. The body itself was built by renowned coachbuilder Bertone. The Drophead Coupé followed the fixed-head Coupé at the end of 1950.
Under the splendid body, the DB2 Drophead was heavily based on a shortened DB1 chassis and used the same suspension. When David Brown acquired the two companies, his main goal was to use a 2.6-litre dual overhead camshaft inline-six engine built by Lagonda in an Aston Martin. The engine was designed by William Watson and overseen by W.O. Bentley, Lagonda’s chief engineer at that time.
When production ended in April 1953, Aston Martin had produced 411 examples of the DB2. However, only 98 Dropheads were ever built, making it one of the rarest convertibles ever built by Aston Martin.
This example is chassis no. LML/880, which has a black exterior finish. The car has under 50,000km on the odometer, remarkable given the car is 70 years old.